Thursday, August 28, 2014

Oliver Goes to Kindergarten

I mix the waffle batter and sprinkle in some cinnamon. I check the waffle maker’s temperature and slowly pour in the mix. I hold back to see how far it will spread and add an additional drop to fill each little crevice. A perfect waffle for my sweet boy, his first day of Kindergarten.






He eats two waffles like he eats everything he likes; as if he were a desperate shark in a feeding frenzy. 

He wakes up happy.

Andrew gets Oliver’s medications ready. As Oliver finishes his breakfast, I talk to him about school. It feels like a one way conversation, but I carry on. He looks at me once after I say, “Don’t bite your friends”, and says “da-da-da-da” and jumps out of his seat. Perhaps he understood?

Morning snuggles with Papa

We load him into his 5 point car-seat in the mini-van and begin the drive. The traffic is terrible as we pass our districted elementary school across the street from our neighborhood. We can’t take Oliver there, because it isn’t the best fit for his special needs. I see the parents walking their kids to school and feel a small sting. I had wanted that for us.


We drive down the loop road and park in the grass. Oliver hops out, excited by the buses rushing past us. He walks on his toes towards the entrance; excitement is filling his body, even if the words don’t come.


We are greeted at the door by the assistant principal and a parent volunteer. We get our visitor stickers and sign in. There are only five names on our sign in sheet. Oliver's Exceptional Children’s class is small. Five boys, all Kindergarteners.


We walk to the end of the hall to the classroom. The door is decorated with a 3-D tree with each boy's name on it. It is Pinterest worthy. We are greeted by Oliver’s one-on-one worker, the teacher, and the teacher’s assistant. These three women will work with these 5 special boys all year. They are incredibly enthusiastic and have won our confidence.


Smiles in the parking lot

I think back to the IEP meeting we had last week. How I cried tears of joy when I got in my mini-van. I was just so happy and thankful. We have a "one-on-one" for Oliver. We didn’t have to fight or argue to get it. This is unheard of in the IEP world. They just had her waiting for us. The whole team welcomed us with open arms and took care of every concern. They were so professional, so ready, so willing. I left with a heart full of gratitude. For this very big step to be so easy; what an unexpected gift.


Andrew snaps a few more pictures of Oliver and his teacher. Oliver is reading a book and curious about his new environment. There is no hint of sadness or worry in him. After lingering a few moments, we give him quick kisses and walk out. He doesn’t notice us leaving; he is already enjoying this new adventure.


5 minutes in and he is in love with Ms. Pollock!

We pass a mother, buried in her husband’s arms sobbing. I don’t feel like sobbing. 

Andrew asks if I am going to cry. I say “no”; I’m just happy Oliver is still with us on this day. That we get to do this together, the three of us. That Oliver gets to go to this great school. I feel gratitude.


I ask Andrew if he is going to cry. He shakes his head “no” and grabs my hand. We walk out the door and into this new chapter called “Elementary School”.



1 comment:

Brittany Schwaigert said...

Hugs Hugs Hugs. Grey started Kindergarten too. It, of course, should have been last year if not for TS.
Oliver's class sounds a lot like Grey's. I am so glad to hear that you have a great school for him. It really makes all the difference. TS Moms really do experience a whole other range of emotions when it comes to school. I was so glad for him to be there, with people who love him as much as I do, and because I know he loves it too and needs the structure so badly. I know Oliver will do great! How is the cannibis study going?