Friday, November 12, 2010

Roller coaster

We are officially on the roller coaster of seizure med optimization. The past week or so Oliver has started to have more intense seizures. They are no longer just him "staring off", now they include head and arm shaking and this morning lip smacking. Big sigh.
We're in touch with the new UNC Dr. but, honestly he isn't my favorite. He didn't agree 100% with Boston (which I naively expected) so we are back in that weird place of not knowing who to trust. Another big sigh. Dr. Theile (in Boston) recommended Dr. Mikati at Duke. He is the chief of Pediatric Neurology and worked with Dr. Theile at another institution some years back. I am in the process of seeing if we could meet with him in hopes he would work more collaboratively with the Boston team. Dr. Thiele, by far, is the one I like and trust the most and after all that trouble to go to Boston it would be nice to get the full benefit of her expertise.

As we ride the coaster we're praying for clarity on what to do regarding the doctors. We're getting ample opportunity to practice teamwork and encouragement in our marriage. Most days I think we do pretty well, Lord knows we have learned a lot the past 4 months! One thing that has helped me recently, when it gets hard and I feel worried I think "accept this challenge, rise to the occasion" and somehow that helps. Then I remind myself worry is not of the Lord- Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. -Phillipians 4:6-8



Recently Oliver has REALLY been into coloring. It is usually the first thing he asks for when he wakes up. Sometimes he'll color for 20 minutes by himself (Praise the Lord!!!!). I can't think of any other activity (maybe a TV show, maybe) that would hold his attention that long. Unfortunately, we didn't wise up until yesterday (we made a rule you can only color while sitting in the high chair) so quite a few things have been colored :) I think it's sort of sweet that our home is marked by the handiwork of a toddler. I am well aware that these years are fleeting and hey, whats wrong with a purple/blue/pink/yellow/waxy coffee table?

2 comments:

LuLaRoeMeg said...

Praying for you. And, please know Mary Elizabeth is a genius with all these seizure meds. Their son has tried every one under the son, and is just getting off his 5th one at a time:) Love you!

Christi Scholl said...

hey Stephanie, Just wanted to tell you that if you need anything while you are in Durham or Chapel Hill then please don't hesitate to let me know. I know it could be helpful to just have a house full of toys that Oliver could play with before/after/between doctor visits. Praying for him! Christi Scholl my email is christiwscholl@yahoo.com