Monday, March 26, 2012

Epilepsy Awareness Day




As I pulled on my purple silk blouse this morning I knew

just somehow knew

that the seizures would come back today.

We've experienced a break for the past five days (thank God)


So today, on Epilepsy Awareness Day...

I find myself on the floor holding my convulsing child.  Cuping his head to buffer between the wood floor and the roaring seizure monster. Whispering prayers and sweet nothings into his little ear. Brushing a wisp of his blonde hair to the side, as I remind him that "it will be over soon".

This is life with Epilepsy. It isn't pretty, and as much as I love an awareness day,
I have to admit I long for the day when the only purple I see is on

Christ the King.





Today I hope you remember (as I force myself to) that one day Oliver will be truly seizure free. He will have a redeemed body without any traces of this terrible disease.

There is more hope in that promise than any purple shirt can offer.


4 comments:

The Carpenters said...

Such sweet words of truth. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Wow - that was so well said. I wore my purple feeling anxious to end this and driven to help people understand what we go through. Thank-you for sharing and I'm sorry it was such a very real day for you.

Mrs. M said...

Oh Stephanie.
My heart goes out to you and Oliver.
Those angry seizure monsters are so scary.
Your words and experiences are testimony as to why we all want Oliver and our kiddos to be seizure free.
Hugs to you.

danielle said...

XO

...danielle