Sunday, March 25, 2012

Retiring the Hazmat


Last week the seizure monster returned. In a BIG way. Last Wednesday was the worst day of seizures I have ever seen.

Since then we have changed around some meds and added in Ativan to help stop the “cycle.” I was on the phone with the Boston team for hours last week. Thankfully the Ativan seems to have worked, and the seizure frequency has slowed.



Due to all this seizure activity (and because it is time) we are going to be heading back to Boston sometime in May. Oliver will have another EEG (his 10th!) and a kidney and brain MRI.



These are Oliver's new sneakers. They do seem to help support his ankle, but getting those things off causes me to sweat. It is such an ordeal. So, if your little person can wear crocs and it takes you 10 seconds to get them on, say a little prayer of thanks!



Last Sunday the race was on TV and Oliver was really into it. It isn't surprising since he loves cars, loves loud things and he has a little bit of my redneck heritage in him (thanks to his mama).



Andrew's parents have been helping out a great deal. Gran was the one who introduced us to the book, "Snuggle Puppy" and it has since become Oliver's all-time favorite book.



We had our Medicaid Assessment appointment last Thursday. It lasted two hours and I probably spent at least another 2-3 preparing for it. They have 45 days to respond. At this point it is in God's hands, although if they deny us I will be a hot mess.  If we are approved we'd get a C.N.A to help with Oliver as well as respite care and financial help with medical equipment. It would be HUGE!


On Wednesday of this week I passed my national and state real estate exams. I am completely geeking out right now on all things real estate. I can't wait to help Andrew with transactions and launch our website and blog we've been working on.



Lastly, I have a tip for all of you who have sensory seeker kids. We've had serious issues with Oliver getting into his diaper. The carpet cleaning people have been here twice and I can't tell you the number of melt downs I have had other this issue. But, I have a solution for you, dear friends!

Here is what you do.

Go to essentialwhites.com where they make TodBods. I just ordered Oliver some sleeveless ones for the summer. Now order their onesies. They come in a nice little package too :)

 

Put that on your child for bedtime/naptime and then put on a zip up sleeper BACKWARDS. (We cut the feet out of the sleepers because when it is backwards it can cause your child to trip.) In the dancing picture above Oliver is in this get-up.

I guarantee you, your child won't be able to get in his diaper. Knowing I don't have to deal with a HAZMAT issue after every nap/every night has been an enormous relief!






2 comments:

Brittany Schwaigert said...

We have the diaper problem too. It is so disgusting. Grey has even put it into his mouth. We both just about lost it. Will you email me about the medicaid stuff? We are about to do this too and I want to know how you got started. ;)

Melanie said...

Oliver looks so cute!! Not sure if you remember that my oldest son is a total athlete. But anyway, when I showed him the photo of Oliver's new shoes, Owen said "whoa. Those hi-tops are awesome! Mom, can you get me a pair just like those?"
:-)