Thursday, March 28, 2013

Who Needs A Mouse?


Andrew and I look like we were in a WWF cage fight for hours with Hulk Hogan. This is what sleep depravation, travel, and hand to hand combat look like.

Looking r.o.u.g.h

Let me explain...

In order to hold Oliver still to get the EEG on, Andrew had to lay on top of him. I assisted by holding his head either to the left or right. as directed by the EEG technician. We stopped at one point and wrapped him up like a mummy to keep his arms from getting out, but this little Houdini still worked his way out. All of us were sweating like we were doing P90-X in a sauna.



At one point Andrew was lying on Oliver and I was standing over top holding down Oliver's head, while the room reverberated with screams of a very ticked-off 4 year old. I can only imagine what this looked like from the outside. I am also very sure that my neutral colored granny panties were hanging out the back of my skinny jeans. Awesome, that is freakin' awesome.

I have to give major props to Andres, who worked super fast and never lost his cool with our little wild man. Oliver was so sweaty that the EEG wasn't even picking up data until the air gun cooled him down for 15 minutes.

We are hoping for a peaceful night. Notice I said hoping, not expecting. Dr.Thiele will come back in the morning and let us know the results of the EEG, and then we'll see her again tomorrow afternoon to discuss the MRI findings, etc...

Finally, I'll leave you with one of those tiny deaths related to the parenting of a child that is medically fragile and has special needs...You know I'd have to go and get all serious on you at the end :-)



At the airport I started thinking about the fact that we are spending our precious "Spring Break" time away from school and our jobs at a hospital. For the money we are spending, we could have gone somewhere warm and magical with a cute little mouse...

that was until I saw the many families today in Mickey t-shirts and princess back-packs waiting at the airline gates with a destination of Orlando

But then I saw Dr.Thiele walk into our room with a broad smile and a big hug, and I thought 

"Who the heck needs a mouse, when we have her?"

2 comments:

Brittany Schwaigert said...

Oh how I feel your pain. Have I ever been there, sister. Greyson's last EEG, he was screaming so much that I was trying to give him french fries to calm him down and he choked on one from screaming and the EEG tech had to give him the heimlich. He turned BLUE. It was awful.
And those "little deaths" you talk about are so painful.
Don't you just want to take those people in the airport by the shoulders and scream at them and say "YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW EASY YOUR LIFE IS!!"
I do! :)

Michelle Poccia said...

Stephanie, You are such an outstanding Mom! I have epic respect for you. And I adore the way you communicate. It is so beautiful. Sending big love and prayers to you and yours! Much love, Michelle Poccia