Thursday, October 6, 2011

Pop!


I have a serious obsession with holidays. I decorate my front porch for every single one. From Halloween until Independence Day I am in porch-decorating heaven! Here was my Valentine's themed porch. 


I can't resist all the fun pumpkins! And the GLITTER :) 


I love my IKEA chalkboard. I repainted it for the porch. I might get another (they are cheap) and do red or green for Christmas. I like to write messages on there for people's birthdays or when guests visit. 

 ~



In addition to my holiday obsession, I never, ever, ever (!) want to miss a chance to throw a party. Baby shower, engagement party, birthdays, going-away...any occasion is a reason for me bust out Hostess Steph.

Don't you think celebrating is kind of like getting a Bedazzler and sticking it to your life?

A few months ago we had this bottle of Champagne (ok let's get real, it was sparkling white wine, like I can afford real Champagne).

....But do you know what?

I just could not bring myself to open it. Mind you I LOVE that little “POP!”...oh and all those bubbles racing to the top of the glass.

So why couldn't I open that bottle? Why did I stare at it day after day and shift it from shelf to shelf?

Because I let this medical madness with Oliver steal away my passion for celebration. (gasp!)

I let it steal my joy. 

And then I thought, what is going on? I am Stephanie Lanier. I was born on Halloween, destined to adore costumes, confetti and parties. Nothing is stopping me from making life sparkle!

So, with much gusto I opened that bottle. The “POP!” sound was an instant cheerleader for my life. I even felt tempted to throw some confetti in the air, but alas, it is in the New Year's decoration box in the attic. (I have at least one box for every major holiday. It is a little much I know...)

I savored those fizzy bubbles tickling me all the way down my throat. I felt the cold rim of the glass on my lips and savored that drink because what it symbolized. It symbolized that I made a commitment to get out the blessed bedazzler for my life and

never put it back.

And you know as I wrote this I thought I now have more reasons to celebrate as opposed to less. My medically fragile son has given me more reasons than a typical kid, for sparkle and confetti and Champagne.

That is what is so special about a “special” kid. You are utterly grateful for

every
little
thing.

Each new word that tumbles out of those red lips causes a celebration, every milestone (albeit delayed) is a time for rejoicing. Almost every day a new glimmer of hope comes on the scene.

God gave my life more sparkle than ever before and what is sad is

I almost traded it for bitterness.

A daily fight in my life: bitterness or gratitude, closed fists or open hands, despair or sparkle.


Cheers to the Maker of heaven and earth for the blessed opportunity to

celebrate this unconventional

yet perfectly celebratory life!

So, POP! the cork and bring out the glitter...lots of glitter.






No comments: