Friday, September 2, 2011

Sunflowers and Cuddles


Today has been better than yesterday. THANK THE LORD!!!! 


Oliver has used the potty a few more times. We continue to be baffled by this. We are so proud of him and so encouraged. We've been busy giving high-fives and m&ms.


Potty Time

Dr. Thiele and I talked yesterday and she called again today and spoke to Andrew. She is so great! I think she could tell how hard yesterday was for all of us. She's been very accessible and encouraging. We couldn't ask for a better neurologist!

She wanted to assure us of a few things:
1- The attack type behavior does happen sometimes in kids who have been through intense trauma. They often focus on one parent (lucky me). This will pass with time. Sure enough, Oliver's last outbursts was last night at 2AM. He is sleeping right now. I really, really hope he can make it through tonight. We are a bit...ragged :)
2- The seizures we are seeing (3 again today) are not indicative of surgery success or failure. His brain is healing and seizures are normal during this time (even for folks without epilepsy). So we have to keep waiting, praying and try to relax. Unfortunately, relaxing isn't my strong suit, but I am trying...
3- We shouldn't expect Oliver's behavior and sleep patterns to return to baseline for at least a few weeks, maybe as long as three to six months from now. The healing from two major brain surgeries just takes a long, long time. It can't be rushed.
4- We have to focus and celebrate the amazing potty success and the new words. These are HUGE gains that indicate much has already been accomplished.


As far as how the parents are doing...

This morning I was able to get out of the house and have a meal in a restaurant. It was so nice. Trista, Beth and I shopped for a bit, and I bought these beautiful sunflowers at the farmer's market. How could you look at these and not feel happy? It was a heavenly morning :)




This afternoon Andrew went out and I have been with Oliver. Oliver asked to go to the park so I took him. He has been very clingy since leaving the hospital. He wants to be touching Andrew or me non-stop. This is a huge change from our wild man. He didn't even want to get out of the stroller today at the park. He seemed scared. :( It is so foreign to me. I coaxed him into the sand pit where he played quietly for 5 minutes. Then he rode a few of the trikes and got right back in the stroller. He had enough. All of this will take some adjusting as I figure out his needs right now. I do miss my wild thing :) but I understand that this experience has been very traumatizing for him.

Oh, I just love him so and wish he didn't have to be scared :(

He is smiling some, but overall is not back to his normal, jolly self yet. He is doing lots of resting and cuddling. That part is very sweet and I love it.

He still hasn't danced yet, and I am anxious to see him do that again. It will come. I just miss seeing it :) Seeing that pure joy and arms flapping with excitement!

As I end this I look over at Oliver, who is pushed up tightly to my side, watching cartoons. It's nice to finally have a snuggle puppy. Oliver's never been one for cuddling, so I am enjoying these moments.


Sleepy cuddles with Papa

Please pray for contentment and perspective. Most importantly, please pray for Oliver's healing and seizure freedom.

We love y'all. Thank you for the continued parade of all kinds of wonderful emails, calls, gifts, cards. They brighten our days!

No comments: